Well the original plan today was to challenge Sofie by weaning her to a low setting and let her sit there overnight. And then depending on how she did, wean her completely tomorrow. Once they weaned her down completely tomorrow, they would attempt to clamp her off ECMO for a couple hours to see how she does without it and then take out her cannulas and be completely off if she does ok clamped.
The plan changed a little this afternoon. She did so well with her challenge today, that they decided around 4:45 this afternoon to go ahead and try the clamp test. She did ok clamped for 2 hours, so they've decided that she will be stable enough to come off ECMO for her surgery! Her decannulation surgery is set for tomorrow. We are still unsure of the exact time, but she will be officially off ECMO sometime tomorrow. After the clamp test this afternoon, they unclamped her and turned her flow back up to maintain her through the night. They don't want to do the decannulation surgery during the night, so they will hold tight and wait until tomorrow when the full crew is here. This is really exciting, but at the same time very scary. We just hope she is truly stable enough to withstand everything off ECMO, because there's no going back once it's gone. On the other hand, surgery is much less risky off ECMO, so it's good that it looks like we're proceeding in that direction. They also repeated her echo this morning and her PPHN is better. Her pressure was 49, much better than the last echo on Friday which was 89-90!
If all continues to go as planned, her repair surgery will be sometime around noon on Wednesday. So hopefully Sofia will cooperate and stick to the plan this time!! It's going to be rocky for the next few days, so Sofia really needs some extra prayers to get through it. Please pray that Sofie continues to be stable off ECMO, through her surgery, and in the days afterward.
Sofia's Mommy & Daddy
3 days ago